Micro Secure Digital (short for microSD according to abbreviationfinder). It is a format for flash memory cards derived from SanDisk’s TransFlash. It is especially used in mobile phones, portable GPS devices, MP3 players, video game consoles and USB memory drives. MP3, video game consoles.
microSD or Transflash cards correspond to a flash memory card format smaller than the Mini SD, developed by SanDisk; Adopted by the SD Card Association1 under the name “microSD” in July 2005.
Since its cost is at least double that of an equivalent Secure Digital, its use is limited to applications where size is critical, such as mobile phones, GPS systems or Flash cards for handheld consoles (such as GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS or Nintendo DSi). Even so, due to the great demand for this type of card, they are cheaper than traditional SD cards with the same specifications, at least in capacities up to 32GB. From this capacity SD cards are more profitable.
FORMAT: The format is asymmetric, therefore, there is no risk of being mistakenly inserted into your computer, in addition to having a very small size:
Traditional SD Memory: 32mm x 24mm x 2.1mm
Mini SD Memory: 20mm x 21.5mm x 1.4mm
Micro SD or Transflash memory: 11 mm x 15 mm x 1 mm
CAPACITY: They are found in different capacities: 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 MB and 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 GB, etc. Currently there are cards with up to 1 TB capacity. It is important to remember that not all devices have support for cards with 2GB or more, due to the difference in formatting (sometimes the problem is solved by updating the firmware of said device).
It measures just 15 × 11 × 1 millimeters, giving it an area of 165 mm². This is three and a half times smaller than mini SD, which was until the advent of micro SD the smallest SD card format, and is about a tenth of the volume of an SD card. Its transfer rates are not very high, however, companies like SanDisk have worked on it, reaching versions that support reading speeds of up to 10 MB/s. Currently, there are already micro SD cards manufactured by Panasonic that reach 90 MB/s reading and 80 MB/s writing.
Currently there are 3 versions of micro SD:
- Micro SD up to 2GB storage
- Micro SDHC from 2 GB up to 32 GB of storage
- Micro SDXC from 32 GB to 2 TB of storage
Micro SD can be divided into classes. The Class indicates the minimum writing speed of the card and is expressed in MB / sec.
The BUS determines the speed at which the device and the card communicate.
- UHS-I Class 1 (U1):minimum speed of 10 MB/sec
- UHS-I Class 3 (U3):minimum speed of 30 MB/sec
Devices that support it
- Ace2 Kard for Nintendo DS
- Alcatel: OT-C825, OT-C701, OT-E801a, OT-V770, OT-C701 family
- BenQ-Siemens: CF61, E61, EF81, EL71, S82, SFG75, S88
- E-ten: x500, M700
- Fire: calculator and scientific calculator
- GeeksPhone: ZERO
- Garmin 780 GPS: eTrex Vista Cx, Legend Cx, Ventrue Cx, GPSMap 60cx, 60csx, 76cx, Map76csx, StreetPilot i2, Street Pilot i3, etc.
- Gtran: N120 slim and N120 slim de luxe
- hi phone
- HTC: Hermes (TyTN). Also sold as O2 XDA trion, T-Mobile MDA Vario II, Vodafone 1605 VPA Compact III, Orange SPV M3100, Dopod CHT 9000, Dopod 838 Pro, hTc Z, Qtek 9600, iMate JasJam, Cingular 8525, Cingular 3125, Swissom XPA v1605, SoftBank X01HT, UTStarcom 6800, Touch, Touch Dual, Touch Cruise (Polaris), Touch Pro, Touch HD, Touch 3G (T3232), P3300, Nexus One, HTC Dream, HTC Magic, HTC Mogul (32GB)
Huawei: Huawei U1205, U3315, U8150, 5320, 5330, G5010, G7010, 5580, UM840
- i-mate: Smartflip, JasJam
- Kyocera: KX55XO
- LG Electronics: U8360, U8380, U880, VX-8300, VX-8500, VX-8600, VX-9900(enV), LX550(Fusic), CE500, CU320, CU500, KF750(Secret), KS20, KU311, Ku250, KU380, KU990, KE990, KP215, GD510(Pop), KP570(Cookie)
- REAL M3 for Nintendo DS
- Motorola: V360, E398, V635, V710, A780, E815, A840, E770, E815, E895, C975, V975, C980, V980, A1000, M1000, E1000, V1000, ROKR, ROKR E2, V1050, V1150, SLVR L7, E1060, E1120, RAZR (V3i, V3x, V3m, V6), i870,i876, i580, A1200, KRZR K1,ROKR W5, RIZR Z3, W396, W510, ROKR Z6, SURF A3100, Motorola W7,.
- Nintendo: Wii, Nintendo DSi
Nokia: 7500, 7390, 6300, 6555, 3250, 3500 6233, 6234,6124 classic,2690, 6085, 6086 5200, 5220 XpressMusic, 5130 XpressMusic, 5300,5310,5500,5700 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5610 XpressMusic, Nokia 5310 XpressMusic, Nokia 5220 XpressMusic 6120 classic, 6125, 6131/6126/6133, 6136, 6151, 6275i, 6267, 6300, E50, E51,N95 (2007), Nokia N82, Nokia N73,Nokia N78, 5200, nokia 5300 Xpress music, Nokia 5320 XpressMusic, c3-00, E65,E62, E63, E61, E61i, E71, E90, 6275, 6110 Navigator, N800, nokia 3120 classic, 3500 classic, 6220 classic, 6210 navigator, N73, N76, N78, N79, Nokia N81, N82, N85, N95, N96, N97 (Most Nokia N series).
- O2 XDA Atom
- Paradox ML2
- PhotoFast CR-5400 (Dual Slot) for PSP
- R4 DS Revolution
- Research In Motion: BlackBerry Family
- Sagem: My V-76 and My X 6-2
Samsung: SGH-D600, SGH-D807, SGH-D820, SGH-D900, SGH-Z230, SGH-Z400, SGH-Z500, SGH-Z700, SGH-ZM60, SGH-i300, SGH-i607, SGH-P850, SGH-D510, SGH-E256, SGH-E250, SGH-F250, SGH-F300, SGH-X700, SGH-E770, SGH-E900, SGH-X800, SGH-zx10, SPH-A920/MM-A920, MX380 SPH -A940,SCH-A950,SCH-A930,SCH-A990,SGH-T809,SGH-T609,SGH-T519,SGH-D807,SGH-I900,SGH-T629,A9,SGH-A707,SGH-Z170,SGH -E236, SGH-L760V, SGH f-480L,
- Sandisk: SanDisk Sansa e200, c200 and Express
- Sanyo: SCP-8400
- Sony Ericsson:K850, Xperia arc™, Xperia X10i™, Xperia X10 mini™,T715, Xperia mini pro SK17A™, Xperia X8™, Xperia X10™, Satio™, Aino™, Yari,Naite™,Cedar™,Spiro™,Zylo™,Yizo™, Xperia play,w150,Xperia Active.
- Supercard DS one
- T-Mobile: Dash (Smartphone)
- Toshiba: Toshiba TS705
- SuperCard Lite
- Telecom: Zonda family especially the MPTEZ model
- VK: i200
- VIOS Digital Evolution: MP4VCD1001